Saturday, November 26, 2016

NoGrinch's Fantastic Beasts Newt Scamander's Hufflepuff Scarf

Pin It
I went to see Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them this week and had to make a crochet version of Newt Scamander's scarf!

I decided to crochet this scarf instead of  knitting (as I did for my Gryffindor scarf) because I wanted a lighter weight scarf.  My knitted Gryffindor scarf is great to wear with a coat in the winter but is too warm for me to wear indoors.


Find this pattern on Ravelry

Supplies:
Hook: Size I
Yarn: Hobby Lobby I Love this Yarn
08/ Dark Gray (almost one skein)
156/ Sungold (about 1/2 skein)

Finished Size:
5 x 70"

Instructions:
With size I hook, chain 16
Hdc in 2nd ch from hook and in each chain across (15 sts), ch 1, turn
Continue crocheting following color pattern until desired size
Finish off and add fringe

Color Pattern:
8 rows 08/ Dark Gray
6 Rows 156/Sungold
Continue in this pattern until you have 10 repeats of gray and gold then finish with one more block of gray.

Add Fringe:
I use a dvd case to wrap and cut the fringe.  Finished fringe measures about 5 inches.  Wrap desired color of yarn 6 times around the short edge of the dvd case.  Cut and attach to the end of the scarf as shown in the picture.

2 comments:

  1. I want to make this scarf but I'm a little confused. Are you crocheting a Hdc for the whole scarf after you chain the base? Also, do you have to skip a stitch or 2 for the fringe or is it fine without?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I am not the author but that looks like it to me. You could also do Triple crochet to give it a bit of flex. You'd just have to measure till you got the scaling right to get the same size as what they have here.

      Delete